Studies have shown that there are some top superfoods which supply the body with a number of necessary nutrients and minerals to meet the dietary requirements.
1. Sweet potatoes – these rank among the top vegetables in terms of nutritional value. They are rich in several nutrients, among them fiber, potassium and vitamins A, B and C. In addition to the high nutritional content, they have properties that fight inflammation, allergies and mitigate the effects of asthma. Sweet potatoes also contain antioxidants that prevent cancer.
2. Berries – blueberries contain high quantities of vitamins A and C which enhance the production of antibodies. They also contain antioxidants which get rid of damaged cells in the body while protecting others from cancer attack. Moreover, berries contain minimal calorie levels and supply the body with dietary fiber.
3. Fish – there are certain types of fish that are rich in fatty acids of the omega-3 type. These include salmon, swordfish and sardines. Omega-3 is known for its numerous medicinal properties which address heart diseases and lower the possibilities of heart attacks. More to this, omega-3 is said to alleviate depression and treat arthritis.
4. Avocados – these superfruits, which qualify as superfoods at the same time, are put to use in many beneficial ways. The fruits which contain oleic acid, one of the best fats, will help in preventing the excess absorption of cholesterol by the body. This will maintain cholesterol at healthy levels. Including avocados in the diet will maintain good vision and improve poor eyesight. They, in addition, prevent stroke and heart diseases that are closely linked to unhealthy eating habits.
5. Tomatoes – the yellow substance around tomato seeds prevents blood from clotting inside the blood vessels, a major cause of stroke. Tomatoes are, moreover, rich in beta carotene which fights prostate, lung and breast cancers. It is important to add that they are good sources of required antioxidants as well. Nutritionists recommend that fresh tomatoes be used over those canned in order to realize better nutritional benefits.
6. Broccoli – broccoli is in the group of cruciferous vitamins that are good for boosting immunity and strengthening white blood cells. If served chilled, broccoli provides the body with vitamins which help in increasing the disease-fighting ability of the body. Broccoli also supplies antioxidants which are largely known to counter cancer attacks to body cells. Broccoli has another benefit of reducing high estrogen levels in the body.
Eating these superfoods along many others in the same category will help one achieve the goal of a disease-free body. More to this, perfect physical health contributes to a healthy mental state. This will enable an individual to do more and become more. The superfoods should thus be used as part of a well-balanced diet.